Thursday 30 April 2009

DPS

I've been wondering what difference gear makes to dps.

For example, I've been practicing as arms on the target dummy in IF. With crap enchants, greens, blues and a few purples I pull 2k (although this may be skewed a little high because of the bug where the dummy is at 1 health so I can execute a lot). It will be lower in real raids of course, unless I can AoE during encounters with bladestorm.

I aspire to be above 3k in 10 man raids and I guess to get there I need synergies from raid members, some buffs, some practice (aka skill) and some gear. Realistically however, I wonder what sort of difference gear will make. Can I really expect a 50% increase in my dps simply by getting better gear? I think not.

Is it reasonable to assume that if I upgrade my levelling greens and blues to ilevel 200 purples then I will see a 25% increase in dps?

Is it reasonable then to assume that 10 man raid buffs might add another 10%?

I just want to really understand how much of dpsing is gear, and how much is skill. I see people in my raids in Naxx 10 gear pulling less than 3k dps, and I look at some of the top dpsers in our guild who beat 4.5k regularly. Surely that 50% can't all be gear and 25 man raid buffs?

I have done one 5 man instance as a dps warrior (one instance ever, including levelling) and pulled 1.4k dps thoughout the instance. This I found really depressing. BUT there was a lock in the group, mainly in ilevel 200 purples, who did 1.1k... What was he doing? Seriously? Was he not trying? Watching television? I used to pull 1k in Mount Hyjal on my undertuned level 70 shadowpriest.

I don't understand how people who nominally play dps classes can slack off during groups and raids. It is incredibly easy to see if a dpser is not pulling their weight - the feeling you get when you are bottom of the charts is dreadful (been there). It's much harder to see whether or not a tank or healer is slacking unless they do something stupid.

I find I am getting less and less tolerant of mediocre dps as I get older, which is as it should be I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment